[WL-USERS] ByteRunner - READ THIS NOW!

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WL-USERS] ByteRunner - READ THIS NOW!
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:26:11 -0500
I installed my ByteRunner 8-port PCI card this afternoon in my Gateway P5-166,
48K RAM.  When the computer booted up, it detected the new hardware and asked
for the driver disk.  It appeared to install the first port OK, then everything
froze.  A reboot also took me to a frozen state.  I finally figured out that I
could hit F8 when Windows was about to start and then start Windows in Safe
Mode.  Here I could access the floppy and do an UNinstall of the driver(s).
Then I could boot back up and this time choose CANCEL when it asked for the
driver software - At least then I could use the computer, email, etc.

It took a couple of hours to get through to tech support, but fortunately I had
redial.  I talked to a very helpful gentleman who emailed me the very latest
drivers.  He asked me to install the card in a different PCI slot and try the
new drivers.  EXACTLY SAME PROBLEM occurred.

I called him back - He didn't even want to go through the process again in
detail with me.  He said that, although very RARE, he's seen the probelm
before, and there's a team in Taiwan doing extensive testing on their PCI cards
regarding this.  He was very courteous and gave me an RMA number and said they
would be glad to refund my money.

I'm extra-bummed, of course, because I've been waiting over a month to get this
going.  My XYL accidentally ordered the 4-port card first (as a gift) - It was
backordered for about 4 weeks.  Then when it came, and we realied it was only
4-ports, we sent it back.  Fortunately the 8-port was in stock and came in a
few days.  Now I'm back to the drawing board once again.

Guess I'll try the Rocket Port next - Maybe I should've done that in the first
place, but the ByteRunner was significantly less expensive and highly
recommended by several.

...thought some might benefit from my experiences!  GL to all!  73's - John