[WL-USERS] Write Log & RTTY Comments

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WL-USERS] Write Log & RTTY Comments
From: joens@thecia.net" <joens@thecia.net (Michael C. Joens)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:20:24 -0400
Mikd

I find it easiest to space over to the time field and type in the time.
People send so many different formats that typing ends up faster than
clicking and fixing. I also found that sometimes the wide decode showed the
correct time (e.g. 1234) when the normal screen was clearly not correct
(say, 1274). And then there is the problem that sometimes the numbers come
through as characters - in this case converting and typing the numbers is
the only method available.

Typing the time in has the additional advantage that you actually look in
the QSO field. At least one station reported zone 4, but writelog pre-set
it with zone 5, so I asked again to make sure (forgot who he was). Turned
out to be zone 4 - this is an old caveat with automatic logging, but I
think RTTY contesting is especially vulnerable because we can just click
and go.

Having used mechanical teletype machines, I don't mind entering four digits
per qso. I'm quite happy with all the other amenities of Writelog. Only
other thing left to do is to tune the linear when changing bands and
hitting the off button at the end of the contest. Compares quite well with
the old Siemens T-100 I used to own: the only two automated things were an
automatic callsign button (mechanical, said "DG1NAJ" back then) and a "very
advanced" mechanical (!) FIFO buffer to accomodate typing faster than 60
wpm.

I can't help you much with the hookup issue. I'm using an Icom IC-756 and
FSK, which I much prefer over AFSK for a variety of reasons - worth a whole
discussion in itself, I'm sure.

Glad you had fun in the contest. Sorry I missed you - would have been
another 2106 points each band.

Michael. K1JE

On Sunday, June 13, 1999 8:28 PM, Michael Albers
[SMTP:malbers@colby.ixks.com] wrote:
> Just finished my first RTTY contest/contacts and my first contest with
Write
> Log.  Have a few questions still with the Kenwood 570 & Write Log.
>
> I was finally able to TX RTTY by running a cable to the mic connector on
the
> front of the radio.  It worked great at that point.  The radio control
cable
> switched between TX & RX so didn't have to use the VOX.  Will Write Log
not
> work with the Aux 2 connector on the back of the 570?  I double checked
all
> my connections and they look fine.  PSK still works OK on the rear
> connector.
>
> When in the RTTY window, I was not able to send any of my function keys.
> had to switch to the normal logging window and start the transmission
with
> the function keys, then jump back to the RTTY window for the response.
 Is