[WriteLog] Problems in ARRL CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Problems in ARRL CW
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 01:11:45 -0000
Hi gang:

Here's a note with some problems I had in ARRL CW (not including
the ice storm that made my 80 and 160m antennas useless!)
Maybe some were cockpit errors. If so, please point them out. If
not, that's why Wayne and Ron get copies of this...

1. Each time I jumped on a packet spot, then came back to my
Run freq using F12, the RIT, initially ON, was then OFF.

2. When hitting INS after entering a call, if it was a dupe, it would
send the call but no exchange. I'd rather just rework dupes, so how
can I make it send the exchange too?

3. As I entered calls in the log window, sometimes incomplete,
then hit INS, and kept typing the calls, most of the time it worked
very well. Sometimes, there was about a one second pause
between the call and the exchange. Ideas?

4. When in the Packet Window, I could still hit the F-keys to send
the buffers, EXCEPT for F1 (naturally, it's the CQ buffer!) Instead, I
get a "can't find logpkt32" window error box.

5. The speedup and slowdown of parts of CW buffers using the >
and < characters sometimes worked, and sometimes didn't.

6. Major annoyance of the contest: When a station was reworked
on a second or third band, the Power was not copied from earlier
QSO. I thought this was a considerable handicap, requiring
additional typing of 3 characters times 3000+ QSOs, not to
mention the extra listening time on the air, when I could have been
tuning the second radio. ***Wayne, please fix this!***

7. Something was screwy with my log. When I turned the computer
back on, after a break, 2 QSOs showed up as 80m, and I hadn't
yet been on 80 (remember the ice?), so I deleted them not knowing
where they belonged. Then when I tried to save the log, it wouldn't
let me. I don't remeber the exact error message. Also, there is a 1
QSO discrepancy between my 2 networked computers. I thought
the network was supposed to merge the logs and keep everything
equal. Comments?

Tnx,
Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com