[WriteLog] DXTelnet/WriteLog Networking - Update #1

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] DXTelnet/WriteLog Networking - Update #1
From: aa5au@msn.com (Don Hill)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 01:44:06 -0500
I have, for the first time, received packet spots from DXTelnet
running on Computer "A" (connected to the Internet) to WriteLog's
packet screen on computer "B" via an Ethernet connection.

I am using a new configuration that Fabrizio has supplied to me
using UDP (User Datagram Protocol).  I won't go into detail at
this stage because after reading a book on TCP/IP and UDP
last night and spending 6 hours figuring it all out tonight, I am still
confused but UDP is similar to TCP.

I am also using the DXT2WL.EXE program that comes with
DXTelnet.  In a nutshell, a program called UDPSEND is run on
both PC's.  Then on PC "B" (the one not connected to the Internet
but running WriteLog), UDPSEND acts as DXTELNET does on
PC "A" supplying spots via DXT2WL to WriteLog's packet screen.

I will let it run all night and check it in the morning, but it seems to
be working very nicely.  Tomorrow (if I have the time), I will start
WriteLog on computer "A", then try to send spots from both "A"
and "B" to see if they go out on DXTelnet.  At this time I am unable
to send spots from WriteLog  on "B" using ALT-T but I think it's
because I don't have WriteLog running networked on both PC's.

In any case, if and when I make more progress I will post it here.

In the end, if all this works, you will be able to receive spots from
several Telnet sessions via DXTelnet and they will all show up in
WriteLog's packet screen, packet spots window and bandmap on
each networked computer.

73, Don AA5AU