[WriteLog] Rttywrite Windows

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Rttywrite Windows
From: W6FFH@aol.com (W6FFH@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:28:56 EDT
I'd like to thank Don, AA5AU, Bruce, W1CSM and John,
WA9ALS for responding to my question r.e. why Rttywrite
windows disappear when mouse is clicked on WL main windows.

All three were right on the money, just worded differently.
The secret was to reduce the size of the main WL window
and put the RTTY windows outside that area. All the other
WL windows  (bandmaps, check partials, etc) work ok on
a full WL window. I suspect that Rttywrite was developed as
a separate program and can't be active on the WL window
and manipulated at the same time i.e. when you click on WL,
you "turn off" Rttywrite (minimize it). This may be by design
or an "oops", only Wayne would know for sure.

I had even shrunk the WL window to about a third of the desktop
and still if the Rttywrite windows were on top, they would
minimize. It wasn't until I actualy moved them off the WL window
to the desktop that they stayed put.

Well, I'm amazed that there haven't been a lot of others that
have run into this (maybe there were and they just struggled
through it). I never ran into it because my WL uses were SSB
in contests and I could have the WL window taking up the whole
display screen and just put a few small windows where they
didn't interfere with the log window too much.

But now that I'm getting interested in "deedling" and maybe CW
(probably won't use WL for PSK much since I have a couple of
programs I like better, the venerable DigiPan and MixW32),
I see that you have to shrink the WL screen anyway to get
the additional windows to fit in.

Maybe someday the WL documentation will catch up with
the software. Must be a monumental task for Wayne and Ron,
so that's not meant as criticism.

Meanwhile, I hope all WL users are subscribed to the reflector
'cause this is where it's happening!

Ron has three examples for setting up the screen on the
web page (http://www.writelog.com/screen1.htm ) and
/screen2, and /screen3. These might help others avoid my
"problem".

I don't know if Wayne has time to monitor all the reflector
traffic, but if you happen to see this Wayne, maybe you
would want to tell us if WriteLog/Rttywrite should work like it does??

Again, thanks guys.

Don  W6FFH
e-mail w6ffh@aol.com