[WriteLog] Assistance needed

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Assistance needed
From: joens@thecia.net (Michael Joens)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:01:06 -0400
Lin,

If I understand it right, you need to define the port settings in WriteLog,
not the ini file (but I'm not sure about that). If all the settings are
correct, make sure your hardware is set up correctly. COM ports are a
tricky thing to set up.

Try running the packet TU on COM3 (settings are in WL). If it works, the
COM port is ok and you have to figure out the right settings for the PK232,
but at least you'll know the port works. If you can't get the TU to work on
COM3, things get more involved.

I noticed that you didn't mention where your mouse and modem are. Chances
are that on a P3 the mouse is on a mouse port, not a com port, so you
should be ok with that. If you have a Winmodem, it may have set itself up
as COM3, but it may not show up in your port list. My Winmodem is on COM3,
but in the Windows control panel I can only see COM's 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 but
not 3.

So step one is to see whether your modem (if you have one) is conflicting.
If it is, leave the modem alone but make the third COM port COM4. If you
don't have a modem, make sure that you indeed have COM3 set up as COM3, not
something else.

Make sure that you've given the extra COM port the right address.
DOS/Windows recognize the COM port by its address. Here's the list:

COM1: 03F8, normally IRQ 4
COM2: 02F8, normally IRQ 3
COM3: 03E8
COM4: 02E8
COM5: 02F0
COM6: 03E0

All COM ports must have their own personal interrupt. So you're free to
pick one for COM3 and higher. What you need to do, depending on the card
you use, is set the address to match the port number you want and set the
IRQ to one that's not used by anything else. The following IRQ's are
basically never available: 0, 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 13, 14 and 15. IRQ 7 is
probably assigned to LPT1. IRQ 5 is often used by the sound board.
Sometimes LPT2 wants IRQ5, but it doesn't really need it. IRQ 2 does not
exist. IRQ 12 is used by the mouse. That leaves you with IRQ's 9, 10 and
11. IRQ 9 is available on 8-bit ISA cards, 10 and 11 only on 16-bit cards.
I could explain why things are this way, but that wasn't the question.

I recommend that you try IRQ9 for the third COM port if it is available. If
you have a modem, try making the extra port COM4 instead of COM3.

Hope this helps.

73,
Michael, K1JE