[WriteLog] Any new thoughts on "stuttering"?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Any new thoughts on "stuttering"?
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:42:57 -0500
I hadn't run Winrtty in AFSK for awhile until this afternoon - Now I
remember why - stuttering.  I had forgotten about it because it doesn't
happen in FSK.  I had a long QSO with a friend, and he observes the same
behavior.  Idle diddling is irregular, and there is a delayed mark tone
at the beginning and end of each transmission, essentially regardless of
PTTDELAY (not exact syntax) settings in the ini file.

I've just been timing one contest exchange buffer - In FSK mode it takes
4.85 seconds from keydown til keyup, but the same buffer in AFSK takes a
full second longer.  The end result is irregular diddling and a delayed
mark tone at the beginning and end of transmission - even in ALT-K mode
(doesn't depend on something like %R being at the beginning of the
buffer).

My report was in general that the signal sounded MUCH BETTER in FSK
mode, mostly due to timing/regularity.

Does anyone have any NEW comments on AFSK vs FSK and the "stuttering
problem"?  I only ask because I might run AFSK if I could get it to
operate and sound like FSK!
How many of you guys are running AFSK and how many FSK?  I basically
wouldn't use mine in AFSK due to these characteristics.  Thanks - 73