[WriteLog] Any new thoughts on "stuttering"?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Any new thoughts on "stuttering"?
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:16:08 -0400
At 07:29 PM 9/21/2000 -0500, Don  Hill wrote:

>AFSK sucks.  No way around it.  FSK is pure on and off keying.  Nothing
>could be simpler.  No RF to screw up the audio.  No need to adjust your
>MIC gain, etc., etc.

The one thing that AFSK *does* buy you is that you will be EXACTLY
zero-beat with the station that you are calling.  This is because most good
software (RITTY and I assume Writelog) will adjust the transmit tones to
match the receive tones, no matter how low or high they are.

This is NOT true of FSK where you tune the receive audio until you can
copy, but the radio generates the tones.

- Jim

--
Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
http://www.ad1c.com