[WriteLog] COM port stuff pse

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] COM port stuff pse
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:53:14 -0500
SRI, I hate these threads sometimes, but I gotta ask a question I have
about getting WL rig polling going on my new laptop.  If you're not into
it, hit DEL now - tnx.

1.  First, I have 2R going on the main shack desktop computer - PTT, rig
polling for freq etc, so I THOUGHT I knew how to do it.

2.  And, if I use the DB-9 serial connector on the back of the laptop
(COM 1) for the CAT cable, WL reads the rig correctly as expected.

3.  To get an extra com port, I have a Targus device pluggedd into the
laptop's USB port that provides one serial port, one parallel, and 2
PS/2 ports.

4.  If I look at the System, Device Manager, Ports - I show a Serial
Port on USB (COM 2)  It's properties indicate 4800,n,8,2 (Xon.Xoff).

5.  I have the analogous Writelog ini file settings for COM 2 also.

6.  In Writelog Ports|Setup, I have the rig FT1K on COM 2 with AUTO baud
rate, and Polling is checked.  This is all completely analogous to what
I have on the main shack computer that works.

7.  However, with this setup, WL is not successfully polling the rig for
freq and mode.

8.  "Conversely", if I do the same things only have the rig on COM 1
(the built-in port on the back of the laptop, it works FINE.  Thus it
seems like it's something to do with the Targus serial device.

Any thoughts?  We've talked about how some serial adaptors don't support
5-bit code and thus cannot do FSK Baudot over the TxD line, but I'm not
talking about that - I'm just trying to read freq and mode from the rig.

Despite what the purists say, this can be a little spooky - For example,
I normally read my 1000MP over COM 6 via a Rocketport PCI card on the
main shack computer.  However, I have never been able to get WL to read
my IC-706MKIIG over a "higher" com port - But it will work on the
standard COM 1-4 using the serial connectors on the back of the
computer.

I expected that FSK over the serial adaptor might not be supported, but
I would think rig polling would be OK.

If you made it this far - THANKS!  Hope someone has some good ideas!  73