[WriteLog] AFC question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] AFC question
From: k1am@home.com (Jeff Bouvier)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:08:20 -0500
On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:33:59 -0600, you wrote:

>When calling CQ and a station answers you and is slightly off frequency, the
>AFC function "tunes" in the signal, when you go to transmit by either using the
>Insert key or the function key you have designated for the exchange, the box
>becomes unchecked and the WriteLog receiver freezes where it "heard" the
>calling station.  Therefore, when the calling stations come back to send
>his/her
>report, the WriteLog RTTY receiver is already on the spot where it received
>the signal in the first place.

Don,
        Sorry old buddy but I disagree with the above. When someone
calls you and the afc is on it will lock in on his signal very nicely
but as soon as you xmit the box is unchecked and you are now receiving
where you are xmitting and you ARE NOT locked into his signal. After
you xmit the box becomes unchecked. Now you have a choice, you either
check the box again and wait for the signal to lock in or use your RIT
to tune him in. During the Roundup I decided not to deal with this
anymore and just kept the box unchecked and used the RIT. I would be
SOOOO much easier if we could keep that box checked ALL the time.
HINT! ;)

        73, Jeff K1AM