[WriteLog] AFC question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] AFC question
From: wt4i@brevard.net (Bruce Lifter)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 02:56:59 -0500
I used the sound card decode on the second radio during the RTTY Roundup.
This
radio was used for most of the S&P contacts. The AFC was always on. Like
John, I tune with the vertical yellow bars. I found that with the AFC on
during
S&P, the rttyrite window will start copying sooner and you will miss less
characters. (The AFC chases the signal at the same time you tune.)

My prference would be an option to fix AFC on and to allow wide band decode
in the main decode window (not just at the bottom). During a contest, it is
my
preference to decode any signal in the 500 Hz filter (wider is better). The
older
design TU's such as the HAL CRI100 and the AF4Z Multi-Modem seem to copy the
widest. The HAL P38 is not bad. I find that the normal rttyrite decode to
be too narrow for a run station. The AFC is always playing catch up and the
first couple of characters get lost if the station is off frequency.

73, Bruce WT4I