[WriteLog] Keeping separate logs for Multi-Two

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Keeping separate logs for Multi-Two
From: wt4i@brevard.net (Bruce Lifter)
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:21:21 -0500
Marty,

I have done a couple of Multi-Two contests with Writelog. Basically we
set up two stations /computers networked together with a single log. We
also checked the option to log which radio makes the contact. After the
contest, if you save the log in Cabrillo format (with the category set
to MULTI-TWO) the resultant Cabrillo Log will have the proper radio
identified. Here is a sample from the test I just performed (disregard
the callsigns, they were whatever came to mind):

START-OF-LOG: 2.0
ARRL-SECTION: SFL
CALLSIGN: WT4I
CATEGORY: MULTI-TWO ALL HIGH MIXED
CLAIMED-SCORE: 147
CLUB:
CONTEST: ARRL-DX-CW
NAME: Bruce Lifter
ADDRESS: 1920 Eva Lane
ADDRESS: Malabar, FL   32950
OPERATORS: WT4I
SOAPBOX:
QSO:  7000 CW 2001-02-24 0642 WT4I     599 FL     I0ZZZ    599 KW      1
QSO:  3500 CW 2001-02-24 0637 WT4I     599 FL     P40ZZZ   599 500     0
QSO:  3500 CW 2001-02-24 0637 WT4I     599 FL     F6QE     599 1000    0
QSO: 14000 CW 2001-02-24 0637 WT4I     599 FL     RA0ZZZ   599 500     0
QSO: 14000 CW 2001-02-24 0638 WT4I     599 FL     G0AZT    599 400     0
QSO:  7000 CW 2001-02-24 0645 WT4I     599 FL     SP6ZZZ   599 100     1
QSO:  7000 CW 2001-02-24 0645 WT4I     599 FL     LU4ZZZ   599 300     1
END-OF-LOG:

(I removed some white space so the log would not wrap.)

As you can see, the last field identifies radio. This is provided for in
the Cabrillo format. If so, why does the ARRL require separate logs for
each radio? It seems the rule needs to be updated for the new ARRL format.
Maybe a question should be directed at the ARRL Contest Manager?

In any event, if the contest manager insists on two logs, here is yet
another option (outside of using my tools):

1. Build the Cabrillo Format log, with the radio information included,
using Writelog.

2. Import the log into MS Excel. Start at the first QSO and make sure that
all fields (columns) are identified. (MS Excel will try and combine some
of the columns so you may have to manually mark the start of the critical
columns such as date, time.)

3. Delete the END-OF-LOG: line.

4. Sort the log by radio, date, time.

5. Cut the radio zero information and paste into a text file with the
original Cabrillo header. (Don't forget the "END-OF-LOG:".)

6. Repeat for radio one.

In my testing, I did find that Writlog gets the radio information for the
Cabrillo log from the network computer logging the QSO. In other words, two
radios on a single computer do not constitute a multi-two. In my test,
one computer had 2 radios connected, the other 1 radio. Both radios on
one computer showed up as radio zero. The third radio on the second computer
showed up in the Cabrillo log as radio one. Without the network information
included, I could not get Writelog to include the radio information into the
Cabrillo log. (Two radios on one computer would not work.)

The bottom line is that I believe Writelog follows the spirit of the Cabrillo
format in regard to Multi-Two reporting. The ARRL needs to update their rules.
It is similar to the rule that states that off times must be clearly identified
in the log. This is obsolete with the Cabrillo format.

73, Bruce WT4I