[WriteLog] Soundcard troubleshooting

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Soundcard troubleshooting
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:16:13 -0600
Hi Barry

Check your wiring versus the right/left status of the rig. If you don't
have both the left and right audio channels wired into the plug that goes
into the 'MP, and if you've somehow confused WriteLog into thinking that
the rig is "Left" when you've got only the right side wired (or vice
versa), you won't hear anything, because WriteLog switches the balance from
center to left or right depending on which radio it thinks is active. I run
into that one all the time when switching between SO2R and just plain SO
setups here.

Also you might bring up the "SBControl.exe" or whatever it's called (the
program that comes with WriteLog that will let you adjust audio levels for
message playback and microphone - my WriteLog machine is out at AE9B's
where we'll be running this weekend so I don't have it in front of me.) --
adjust the windows so you can see this program and WriteLog - and watch
what happens to the audio balance and "selected" status when you try to
transmit with the F keys - that might offer some clues.

Also you might need "Echo Microphone" turned on if you're routing the mike
through the soundcard - I've never figured out for sure if it's required or
not, but it always seems to work better when I turn that on (it's on the
Tools menu)

73

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com