[WriteLog] Notebook Soundcard "Audition" Results

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Notebook Soundcard "Audition" Results
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:12:22 -0500
> directly to output), I went out at lunch and "auditioned" a few
> notebooks at CompUSA by running the "SBrdChk.exe" program on
> them (had to really hassle the sales people to unlock several
> machines so I could get to the diskette drive)...

I did that too, only the salepeople at Best Buy didn't even notice that
someone was putting disks in their machines and running programs!

> So hopefully this is useful to anyone who might be considering
> purchase of a new notebook for use with WriteLog. My best advice
> would be to run the SBrdChk.exe program on any machine you're
> considering purchasing, before you take it out of the store!

EXCELLENT advice!  I even emailed Dell and asked them if they would get the
program and run it on my machines of interest.  I gave them the link to the
program because I knew they wouldn't want to run an exe provided by me.
However, I've never heard back from them...  ;-p  Hams are probably a tiny
part of their market!  ;-)