[WriteLog] Notebook Soundcard "Audition" Results

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Notebook Soundcard "Audition" Results
From: jcullum@micron.com (jcullum)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:14:56 -0600
Good advice!  Wish I had it before I bought my Inspiron 8000.  I picked this
model due to its generous supply of inputs (mic and line in, 2 USB, serial,
parallel, IEE1394, modem, ethernet, etc).  It, however, has the Maestro 3i
sound chip and scores low with SBrdChk 9as you found out).  I found that if
you use the drivers directly from ESS you can route the microphone directly
to the speakers, but the muting function doesn't seem to work (i.e. while
the WAV file is playing the mic in doesn't get muted).  You also lose the
hard volume keys on the laptop.  This isn't too much of an issue as you can
always load the Dell driver after the contest is over.  A friends HP laptop
with the 3i chip does the same thing.  So the manufacturers must be saving
themselves some tech support time by not allowing users to create feedback
using the "echo microphone" feature.  I need to spend some more time with
the ESS driver to see if it will function okay with WriteLog.  Kind of an
unfortunate band-aid for an otherwise good laptop.

Jim/K7MK