[WriteLog] SO2R contesting question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R contesting question
From: jbrannig@optonline.net (Jim Brannigan)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:11:45 -0400
I have been fooling around with ground mounted verticals for years (and
dipoles and Yagis)
The view that they "radiate in all directions poorly" is generally true....
Ground conductivity is crucial.  In this area we have hardpan , rocks and
clay over sand....all manner of radials did not do the job.
but, with that said, I have had some luck with a 1/4 wavelength on
40M....higher freqs. require getting it up in the air, but a dipole will
work better.
my 2cents
Jim