[WriteLog] DTR active during boot patch

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] DTR active during boot patch
From: stephen.b@cytanet.com.cy (Steve)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:04:52 +0300
Another thing to consider is that Windows ME is not going to be supported
very shortly.

As soon as Windows XP hits the streets (around October time I think) there
will be very little support for ME ... if any. Even now in the UK, they have
drastically reduced the price of ME - almost to the point of giving it away
.... now that in itself tells a story (and I don't mean the fact of buying
something cheap in the UK !!).

The security issues coded into XP will make it very difficult to copy, once
installed on a computer it maps the hardware and once connected to the net a
copy of this map and serial number of XP is sent to microsoft. Any
significant changes to the hardware and Microsoft will assume you have
installed the same copy on a different machine. Apparantly, this will make
individual licences of XP easier to trace and it will be less liable to be
pirated and of course more emphasis / manpower will be allocated to its
support.  Idea sounds ok - unless of course you continually upgrade your
machine (my case and power supply has seen 5 processors and 3 different
motherboards - I guess I would have had to purchase XP at least 3 times if
it had been available two years ago !!!).

Sorry to go off topic but if anyone is considering moving over to ME or
wondering about future support for ME then I hope this helps.

Steve  ZC4BS

ps  please PLEASE  don't start a flamewar against Microsoft on these lists -
that is not the intention of this mail !

Something to ponder.

Homepage: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/customhouse/206/

and the new all singing all dancing one at ...

http://pages.zdnet.com/yzf1000r1_99/stevesplace/index.html