[WriteLog] Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Networking
From: N3SL@aol.com (N3SL@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:39:04 EDT
--part1_112.51f6cce.28e0d7c8_boundary

In a message dated 09/24/2001 11:58:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
w2up@mindspring.com writes:

> I am far from a network guru, but from what I've read, NetBeui is
> safer to use if the computer has an Internet connection. When
> using TCP/IP, the outside world can see whatever is networked via
> TCP/IP. This is not the case with NetBeui.
> Barry W2UP

Not to belabor the point, but if a computer has an external connection, it's
already using TCP/IP, so it's moot.  As I said, NetBEUI is for peer-to-peer
(in house, small group) networking.  It won't connect to the outside world.
I personally don't see the need to have NetBEUI on a PC as an extra protocol
IF TCP/IP is there for some other reason - the KISS philosophy. NetBEUI will
work just fine on 2 computers hooked together via a cross-over cable.  But
once the outside world is brought into the picture, TCP/IP is installed
whether you like it or not.  Besides, no one can "explore" your hard drive
unless you're connected to an ISP or WAN or whatever.  And if your home/ham
computer contains stuff that sensitive, you need your own firewall program
anyway.

73,
Steve

--part1_112.51f6cce.28e0d7c8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 09/24/2001
11:58:51 AM Central Daylight Time, w2up@mindspring.com writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT:
5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">I am far from a network guru, but
from what I've read, NetBeui is
<BR>safer to use if the computer has an Internet connection. When
<BR>using TCP/IP, the outside world can see whatever is networked via
<BR>TCP/IP. This is not the case with NetBeui.
<BR>Barry W2UP
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial"
LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial"
LANG="0">Not to belabor the point, but if a computer has an external
connection, it's already using TCP/IP, so it's moot. &nbsp;As I said, NetBEUI
is for peer-to-peer (in house, small group) networking. &nbsp;It won't connect
to the outside world. &nbsp;I personally don't see the need to have NetBEUI on
a PC as an extra protocol IF TCP/IP is there for some other reason - the KISS
philosophy. NetBEUI will work just fine on 2 computers hooked together via a
cross-over cable. &nbsp;But once the outside world is brought into the picture,
TCP/IP is installed whether you like it or not. &nbsp;Besides, no one can
"explore" your hard drive unless you're connected to an ISP or WAN or whatever.
&nbsp;And if your home/ham computer contains stuff that sensitive, you need
your own firewall program anyway.
<BR>
<BR>73,
<BR>Steve</FONT></HTML>