[WriteLog] More Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More Networking
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 09:27:50 -0500
--=====================_670534==_.ALT

At 10:40 9/26/2001, Jerry Pixton wrote:
>To the network experts ---
>
>I hate to join the thread about Networking but here is my observation
>yesterday in getting a backup copy of my log running on my second computer.
>
>Can someone explain this observation and how to correct it?????
>
>My new computer is running Win2000 and has only TCP/IP for a network
>protocol. My portable runs Win2000 and has both TCP/IP and NetBEUI for
>network protocols.
>
>I set up user accounts on both machines per help files (which are not too
>useful in telling you how to set up a user account or what permissions are
>needed???  I guess if we are going to keep logs in sync that "write"
>permissions are needed???)

Be suer that the account has administrator privileges and it should work.
Lacking that, it does make it easier if the account names on both machines
are the same.
The account you are logging into is the one on the host machine, (the one
you are calling) and that account must have the correct access rights to do
that .

Before doing anything with a network you can AND SHOULD test it with ping.
Can you ping in both directions  eg. ping 192.168.0.1 for instance if that
is the address of the other machine.
If that does no to work, nothing else will.

After that, does the computer show up in my network places? Do you have the
shares set up for the files that you want to access. You have to add new
shares, the default share will not work. It is for the OS.

>Now with WriteLog 10.27G running on both computers, I can tell each to
>"register to accept connections"
>
>Then if I try to link from the portable to the main computer, I get a
>request for a User/Password - except it will not recognize the user
>account I set up. Says wrong password. I can connect however, using my
>Administrator account?????
>
>But from the main computer to the portable, when I request a connection it
>just does it - no request for user/password.
>
>So it looks like I have a half duplex link using the NetBEUI interface on
>the portable????? The TCP/IP link from the portable to the main computer
>will not set up with any user except Administrator?????
>
>Jerry, W6IHG

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_670534==_.ALT

At 10:40 9/26/2001, Jerry Pixton wrote:<br>
---<br><br>
I hate to join the thread about Networking but here is my observation
yesterday in getting a backup copy of my log running on my second
computer.<br><br>
Can someone explain this observation and how to correct it?????<br><br>
My new computer is running Win2000 and has only TCP/IP for a network
protocol. My portable runs Win2000 and has both TCP/IP and NetBEUI for
network protocols.<br><br>
I set up user accounts on both machines per help files (which are not too
useful in telling you how to set up a user account or what permissions
are needed???&nbsp; I guess if we are going to keep logs in sync that
&quot;write&quot; permissions are needed???)<br>
Be suer that the account has administrator privileges and it should work.
Lacking that, it does make it easier if the account names on both
machines are the same. <br>
The account you are logging into is the one on the host machine, (the one
you are calling) and that account must have the correct access rights to
do that . <br><br>
Before doing anything with a network you can AND SHOULD test it with
ping. Can you ping in both directions&nbsp; eg. ping 192.168.0.1 for
instance if that is the address of the other machine.<br>
If that does no to work, nothing else will.<br><br>
After that, does the computer show up in my network places? Do you have
the shares set up for the files that you want to access. You have to add
new shares, the default share will not work. It is for the OS.<br><br>
both computers, I can tell each to &quot;register to accept
connections&quot;<br><br>
Then if I try to link from the portable to the main computer, I get a
request for a User/Password - except it will not recognize the user
account I set up. Says wrong password. I can connect however, using my
Administrator account?????<br><br>
But from the main computer to the portable, when I request a connection
it just does it - no request for user/password.<br><br>
So it looks like I have a half duplex link using the NetBEUI interface on
the portable????? The TCP/IP link from the portable to the main computer
will not set up with any user except Administrator?????<br><br>
Jerry, W6IHG<br><br>