[WriteLog] Too Many Spots, computer slows down

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Too Many Spots, computer slows down
From: k0bx@qsl.net (k0bx@qsl.net)
Date: 2 Oct 2001 06:08:01 -0700
Hi guys, great rtty contest last weekend.  I ran single operator high power
assisted.  I used telnet to the internet.  The computer is a P233 with 128Megs.
 The only thing open on the computer was Writelog, but was using Telnet,
rigcontrol, and MMTTY.

Everything was going fine Friday night, no problems.  Then Saturday same thing
until about noon.  With the big opening, the telnet spots were coming fast,
then I started to notice MMTTY sometimes freezing for a second or two, the
keyboard became very slow(almost reminded me of UNIX).

At first I thought it was RF getting into the computer, after all this is the
first time we ran 1498 watts for a whole contest.  But the problem (I think)
was that Writelog was having a problem keeping up with the spots and filling
the bandmap.   This happened before in a cw contest.

The cure was to "clear all spots" from the bandmap.   Then everything would
work for a while until the spots were too much.  Remember, the spots were for
rtty,cw,ssb,6 meters and all bands from every were not just rtty.

I don't think this is a Writelog problem, but a problem of my slow computer.  I
just wonder if anyone else has a similar problem?

BTW a couple guys said that MMTTY crashed during the contest.   One of the
things that can cause this is having the Windows Sounds turned on.  The help
file tells you to turn the Windows Sounds, you know those da ta sounds, off as
it can cause a conflict with the soundcard and MMTTY or Writelog RTTYRite.

73 and will post my score later.

Joe K0BX

k0bx@qsl.net
http://www.qsl.net/k0bx