[WriteLog] Unwanted Mic Mute - Solved

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Unwanted Mic Mute - Solved
From: n4gg@hotmail.com (Hal Kennedy)
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 14:29:50 -0400
Thanks to everyone for the help.  BTW, many, many folks have had this
problem - the mic mutes when an F key sends a message, then doesn't unmute.
It is not a sound board compatibility problem, contrary to popular thinking
- the problem lies in the Windows to Windows Volume Control software
interface, where, if there are more than about three sound slide pots (sound
inputs) open, the mute on/off functions get 'shared.'

W0ETC gave a simple fix that worked on both my machines:  in WL go to Tools,
Sound Board Options, and check Echo Microphone.

I also found that if you click open Windows Volume Control, and have lots of
slide pots (inputs) open, you will have the problem, and can solve it by
shutting most of them down.  This can be done by opening properties, then
unchecking what you don't need.  I shut down the inputs for 'modem,' two
wave inputs that were open, and a synthesizer input that was open.  After
that, it worked fine.  The mic mutes during an F key send, then unmutes when
the F key is done.  Windoze can't keep the mute controls straight if too
many are available.

73, and Tnx again, Hal N4GG