[WriteLog] Multi-operation

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Multi-operation
From: aosman@home.com (Tony Osman)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 19:55:46 -0500
This was the first time I have used Writelog for multi-operation and I ran
into a few problems that I would like to air to the group and hopefully
learn what I did wrong.

Although all machines were seeing log entries, one machine could not receive
packet spots.   When trying to connect to the TNC computer, I would get a
message in the packet terminal window "LOCAL NETWORK DISCONNECTED".  Nothing
I tried - disconnecting from network, rejoing network, rebooting (when the
aurora hit!)  or anything else I could think of.  Then later into the
contest (I think around Sunday lunchtime) the other machine could not
receive the packet spots from the computer connected to the TNC.  This,
however, occured after the TNC computer had been working well then suddenly
(unknown cause) we got a message that it had lost connection to the packet
automation object.  The options were to retry or not.  We retried and packet
came back, however, now we could not connect from the machine that
previously had been able to connect.  I suspect this could have been cleared
up by re-booting, however this was the server and as it was closer to the
end and I didnt want to chance anything by having to re-boot the server.

Although I loaded all machines with the clean server copy in which I had
added all operators, the change operator list on the computers that used
this file to start Writelog was empty?  not sure what I did wrong here.

I did have a server crash when I tried to right click on the rates window to
change it to last 60 mins.

Most of the time writelog worked well and I think with a little more
experience we will have it licked!!

Finally, I do have a couple of "really would be nice for CQ WW tests"

1). Please make the zone list horizontal.  I find it too slow to check where
the zones are and on which bands (I know, this is a brain spasm thing
but....).

2). Is there a way to change the colors on the Multiplier window?  Yellow is
a really bad color to see at times and it would be nice to customize these
in the same way you can for the band maps etc.

3). A zone check similar to CT's Shift F10 is really nice to have, early in
the morning, trying to remember what is in zone 19 had us going...

4). Please, please make the mults show when they are double, ie zone and
country.  It is really helpful to plan on the time spent to try and work the
double ones as opposed to a single mult.

5). Please remind me to check out all the software and machines a couple of
days prior to the contest and not three hours before it starts!!!

73 to all and looking forward to the CW test.

Tony, Ve3rz