[WriteLog] W5XD+ keyer function Left v right

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] W5XD+ keyer function Left v right
From: n6rfm@charter.net (Bob Mattaliano)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 21:45:14 -0500
Hi Dick,

I don' think you are too far off base about the keyer.  I use a W5XD keyer
also (built from parts).  It has worked fine for SO NO 2R with the Left R
default.  However, I have noticed when I upgraded to 10.28D something new.
When setting up for CW with radio Left selected AND activated and when
starting to send for the first time after a WL start, the screen would
really flicker for a moment but no output on CW Left keying line.  Moving
the CW keying connection to the Right output solved the problem EVEN IF the
software was in Left mode.

Doing a save configuration seems to resolve the problem.  I suspect your
keyer is OK, but WL 10.28D may have a minor issue.

I also noticed that PTT is asserted over the serial line regardless of L/R
status on the only rig attached in that manner IF only one radio is
specified as part of the setup. Not that this really matters.  I do suspect
that there may be a gremlin associated with keyer initialization.  This new
feature was observed using both WIN98 and now XP.  Again, it seems to
resolve after doing a Save Configuration.  Left  then works as expected.  As
far as I know, Right orientation is the default setting.  I use Left since
my rig  (an ICOM 756 PRO II) sits to the left side of my operating position.

BTW,  WIN XP works fine so far versus WIN 98.  I did have some trouble
getting my multi-serial port card from ByteRunner to work, but they offer an
alternative driver which seems to be FB.  Lastly, as perhaps a dinosaur, I
use a TR-3 tape backup. This requires a third party program to see the drive
since XP does not support it directly (as far as I can tell).

Your mileage may vary.

CU in CQWW !!

Bob

bob@n6rfm.com