[WriteLog] Sound board bad audio

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Sound board bad audio
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Mike McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:36:23 -0500
In my situation, with Kenwood 850, 940 and 950 transceivers, I found that
the 1:1 transformers didn't work (badly distorted/overdriven audio).  I use
1K-8 output transformers (available at Rat Shack) with the 1K ohm sides to
the line-in and line-out jacks of the sound card and the 8 ohm sides to the
rig.  This was true with several variations of the SoundBlaster brand
cards/chips and the line jacks.  On the Kenwoods I make the connections to
the 13 pin DIN plug designed for interfacing to a TNC or other "digital"
communications device.  That leaves the headphone and mic jacks on the rig
available.  The audio in and out on the 13 pin ACC2 connector are also
independent of the audio and mic gain controls on the front of the rig.
Levels must be controlled by the mixer in the computer.

Hope this helps,
Mike, W1NR