[WriteLog] PK232 ?huh

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PK232 ?huh
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:57:21 -0500
> The problem is that you have no spectrum view of all the signals and you
> must manually tune the signal to the pass band where the RS232 is set.
With
> MMTTY and other spectrum DSP programs you simply click on the spectrum on
> the signal and the radio is automatically and instantly put on frequency.
> That alone is reason enough to give up or FSK. You also cannot use AFC
> since you cannot vary the audio tone, (you have no audio tone to vary ) to
> follow the other signal. Not a big deal on RTTY but on  FSK is often very
> important.

Reminder - This is the WriteLog reflector.

That said, I don't understand this whole thread very well.  FSK refers to a
transmission technique.  With FSK (instead of AFSK), you don't have the
ability to very your tones automatically to match an off frequency station's
call.  This is the "NET" function in Digipan or transmit AFC in RITTY/K6STI.
You have another option though - TUNE IN YOUR RADIO!  HI  It's a bunch of
guys using transmit AFC ("NET") when CQing that cause them to be all over
the place.  Every time someone calls them off frequency, their AFC takes
them where the action is.  The result in this case is bandwidth and
confusion.  Kill the transmit AFC.

WriteLog and others DO provide RECEIVE AFC for those off-freq stations.

I thought the original comment about FSK being an "ancient" form of
connection referred to RTTY mode in general - a slam, so to speak.  Maybe
I'm wrong about that.  Maybe it was just an argument in favor of AFSK vs
FSK - I don't think the WriteLog reflector needs that thread again - even
the RTTY reflector doesn't need that one again.  If you use AFSK, don't over
modulate and don't use transmit AFC when CQing during a contest.