[WriteLog] mouse_wheel_hz and writelog.ini

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] mouse_wheel_hz and writelog.ini
From: clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk (Clive Whelan)
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:47:02 -0000
 Jerry Flanders wrote:
> The "hot" keys are which - the 8-10 extra keys around the periphery of the
> keyboard?

Yes, I think it's 17 in total, including the ones on the left hand side,
although I haven't checked in individually to date.

> You cannot create a new definition of a key, then?

Correct, macros are not allowed.

> If your keys can only substitute for other pre-defined keys,
> that won't work with this keyboard, right?

Well I  was previously using a macro/remapping prog. recommended by WC1M, and
that still functions. That particular prog. permits macros on any key, and I
use several on the numeric keypad for headphone switching and latching in
conjunction with the W5XD+ keyer. I also use the ` key to the left of the 1
key, which is otherwise redundant.

You can get this prog. at http://www.dev-labs.com/kr/index.html, for which we
owe thanks to Dick. As he says it is not the most user friendly, and (imo) the
documentation is almost incomprehensible, but what do we expect for $15.
However it does do exactly what it says on the can! Caveat emptor, ymmv.

> Could you program one of your extra keys to bring up the Writelog
> type-ahead keyboard (the alt-K function)? If you are free to "type in" such
> key strings as this instead of a program path, that gives this keyboard a
> lot more flexibility. This might let it do the focus shift I mentioned above.

Not from the keyboard itself, but from the macro/remapper, that is indeed
possible. I think the MS product is a first and hopefully someone like Logitech
will improve on it 'ere long.

> I gave up my old fully programmable keyboard only because I set up 2
> computers to play with SO2R and felt that I needed two identical keyboards
> with this setup. There is a keyboard redefinition program out there
> somewhere but I haven't tried it yet.

Yes redefinition will serve precisely for what you seek, although I am frankly
unsure why you need two computers for SO2R? ( except perhaps for networking).

Now , I still need to know how to edit the writelog.ini on the fly with either
or both of the above facilities, anyone?

73

Clive
GW3NJW
gw3njw@gw7x.org