[WriteLog] AFSK and the Icom IC-761 - SOLUTION

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] AFSK and the Icom IC-761 - SOLUTION
From: aa4nu@ix.netcom.com (Billy Cox)
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 19:59:27 -0600
> It sounds like you have at least 1 problem (rig not transmitting the
> tones coming to it.  I'm not clear, but it sounds like the rig is not
> keying either.

Problem was the IC-761 was NOT keying, we did have the tones
at the rig ... but another user provided a means for this to work.

Thanks to John, Ric, and others for suggestions, and I am posting
this as it might prove useful to others in future who search the archives
for similar situations.

A tip of the hat to Ric, KV1W for a workable solution !

When I was over at K4OOO's I noticed he uses a Heil
Proset ... Ric's solution was to run the SPEAKER OUT from
the sound card to the Heil's 1/8" plug, which runs into
the IC-761 ... we used a Radio Shack 1:1 isolation
transformer to stop the Icom's mic voltage from getting
into the sound card ... and as KV1W pointed out, this
will make it even easier for Larry, K4OOO to use the
sound card for SSB.

>You need to input the audio into either the AFSK input on the ACC jack
>(recommended) or to the mic input.  Then you need to key the rig, either
>1) via a keying interface into the rig's PTT pin, or 2) via CAT control.
>Since you're obviously already using CAT control (reading freq etc),
>that would be the easiest/fastest for today - just tell WriteLog to use
>PTT on the rig's COM port.

We are/were using the ACC1, so that's done .... we tried using the
RIG's COM port's PTT ... but that would not work ...

>I would forget about using VOX, although it might work, depending on
>what audio input you use.

VOX works ... but not from the back ACC1 connections.

>Later (after the Roundup) when you have AFSK working, you might >consider
using FSK - less to worry about getting set correctly etc.

Agreed (I use FSK from my station), and we might do that, as then
Larry could use his 2 x 500hz CW filters also, as right now he can't
with the "LSB is really FSK" ...

Hope you worked K4OOO in the RTTY Roundup ... Larry sounded
like he was having some FUN and enjoying a new mode for him.

73 Billy AA4NU