[WriteLog] Computer hardware question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Computer hardware question
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 20:28:29 -0500
> Current computer: Pent . pro 180 (Gateway) 32m ram
> 2.0g hd Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO Plug+Play card  ( did card
> check = 6f) Win98 No extra com ports (just what came stock)
>
> I can bring this home for free or can purchase a new comp.
> Would rather not
> spend the money

There are some powerful Dells available now in the $600 range, some with
free color inkjet.  That said, I can tell you that I ran WL SO2R RTTY
with an old Gateway P166 with 48K RAM.  Even with that running with DX
Telnet exporting spots to DX4WIN at the same time, I could [usually]
also surf and email without crashing!

If money is short, I'd try the work computer, and if it fell short, then
buy the Dell.  Otherwise, you'll probably be happier overall with a new
machine.

Guys, he's probably looking for some support in getting a NEW machine -
Maybe we'd better tell him that WL won't work on anything less than
[substitute your favorite minimum configuration]!  Oh yes, don't forget
to get a video card that will support 2 monitors!  ;-)