[WriteLog] WL Errors in ARRL DX SSB

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL Errors in ARRL DX SSB
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 17:48:55 -0500
Here are some problems I noticed while on for a short time in the 2002 ARRL
DX SSB contest:

1. Typing in the entry window in SSB mode does not interrupt the CQ message.
It does cancel Timed CQ, but only after the entire message has played. This
used to happen in CW mode, but was fixed in a recent release (typing
*anything*  in the entry window aborts the message.) It should work the same
way in SSB mode.

2. For the purposes of dupe checking, TO4T/FG is not considered the same as
FG/TO4T. It should be -- after all, the country scanner considers it the
same country. Had TO4T been correctly set up in the cty file, it should have
been considered the same as the other two forms of the call.

3. Weird Bug: When a spot is grabbed from the Spot window, Super Check
Partial erroneously shows it in red if the call has been worked on another
band, but not the current band. This only happens when grabbing packet spots
and only happens the first time the spot is grabbed!

4. Packet Problems (I may have reported these before, but probably a year
ago):

- The Packet Spot window should not jump back to the beginning (or maybe
it's the end) when the window is scrolled and a new spot comes in. The
current behavior makes it very awkward to rapidly jump around in the window
working new mults or spots. At KR1G's M/2 the day before I was able to push
CT's rate meter to 189/hr working packet spots like this, but couldn't get
it over 100/hr with Writelog.

- The Packet Spot window should show the time of the spot. I can't tell
which ones are new and which ones are old.

- The Packet Spot window should allow deletion of any line so bad spots can
be purged.

(I realize that the behavior of the Band Map window is different, but so is
its usage. The Packet Spot window is (or should be) the fastest way to work
though a bunch of packet spots.

I would be happy to solve these problems myself by never using packet and
never working an SSB contest (ever again!), but there are probably a few
Writelog users who won't consider this an acceptable solution ;-)

73, Dick WC1M