[WriteLog] USB to Serial adaptors on WinXP Pro

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB to Serial adaptors on WinXP Pro
From: vision2000@sunbeach.net (Dean M. St. Hill)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:26:54 -0400
Hi Writeloggers

I'm trying to get a USB to serial adaptor to play with my notebook which =
is running Win XP.

1. The adaptor works - it works on my desktop running win 98 and on =
another desktop system which also uses WinXP Pro.

2. It goes through the steps to be installed and when that process is =
complete, WinXP then reports that the device cannot be found.

3. It uses the Prolific chipset and did not come with WinXP drivers... =
Instead I'm using the Windows 2000 drivers which worked fine on that =
other system.

4. I have approached the troubleshooting reasonably systematically and =
have disabled infra-red and a few other things on the laptop to avoid =
any potential irq issues. I eventually even edited the .inf file so it =
could only use available irq's.

5. In another few hours, I'm going to install anothr HDD with win98se =
but this even if it works is not a solution, since that would add =
overhead to my contest preperation time.

Anybody had similar problems... anybody know where WinXP drivers can be =
obtained for this prolific USB-Com cable?? Or any brand recommendations =
on such a cable that works...

Thanks for your collective help.

73, Dean St. Hill - 8P6SH=20

multipart/alternative