[WriteLog] USB to Serial adaptors on WinXP Pro

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB to Serial adaptors on WinXP Pro
From: dsthill@cbcbarbados.bb (Dean St. Hill)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:06:06 -0400
USB problem solved.

It appears to be a driver related issue.

I searched and searched using various search engines until I found another
company whose USB/Serial cables used a prolific chipset. I found one such
company - Bafo - http://www.bafo.com.tw/download.htm whose BF 810 is
functionally the same as the unit I purchased.

A quick download of those drivers and it worked pretty soon thereafter.

So if anyone ever has a similar problem... this may be helpful.

BTW I've tested the port with both TNC on RTTY and with rig control and it
works well, but only with the power cord connected to the notebook
computer... on battery power its not communicating with either device.

Does anybody know enough about USB to explain that... it's not much of an
issue... but always nice to know.

Finally, the current draw appeared to be surprisingly high - 500 mA, and the
max draw also appears to be 500mA on each of my two root hubs. I presume
that this means if I want to run 2 to 4 units I'd have to hook them up to
externally powered hubs??

So... now to  fire up the search engines again to get some specs on
externally powered USB hubs...

73, and thanks to all those who responded.

Dean - 8P6SH