[WriteLog] SO2R with RITTY and MMTTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SO2R with RITTY and MMTTY
From: George Johnson" <w1zt@arrl.net (George Johnson)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:27:57 -0500
Jim,
Yes, I think adjustment of audio levels significantly influences the
performance of sound card decoders.  I use RITTY but am experimenting
with MMTTY and other sound card systems.  I still prefer RITTY under
most contest and DX conditions.

I have used both the headphone audio output from my Icom radio(s) as
well as the fixed level output from the rear accessory connection.  I
could not get sufficient output from the fixed level into the line-in
ports of a couple PC audio boards.  I am presently using a simple audio
amp to boost the level by about a factor of 7 to go into the sound card
line-in port.  But there was adequate audio from a Y-connection on my
headphone line.  I have also used the sound card mic port but I get some
apparent distortion with some sound cards.

I set up the levels using the DOS configuration and graphic display in
RITTY.  I then use that group of settings for the ritty.ini file
employed with WL contesting.  It seems to work fine...  I end up with
two versions of an *.ini file;  one for contesting and one for general
use.

FWIW I just built up the sound card interface described in March QST.
The author, AA4PB, did an excellent circuit design job with line
filtering and isolation.  I will also use the "bazooka" shielding
technique for the lines between the computer and interface.  I am
missing some audio jacks so I have not tested it electrically yet.  This
circuit will be used in our Field Day operations.  It was designed for
Icom accessory socket interface but can easily be adapted to any radio.

73 and GL,
George .. W1ZT