[WriteLog] pk-232

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] pk-232
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:50:00 -0500
It's possible to send CW with a PK232 with WriteLog.  Receive is a
different story - you can receive CW with a PK232 with a lot of trouble
which I won't go into.

It's been so long since I've used the PK232 for CW that I don't remember
how to do it other than to say to go to the Setup menu and choose Ports
and select PK232 for CW Keyer type.  You may have to hit a couple function
keys to get it start at first.

The problem with using the PK232 for CW is that the buffer gets full and
it quits working.  You have to turn it off, then back on for it to start working
again.  I even disconnected any audio going to the unit and the buffer still
filled up.  I never found a way around it.

The best thing to do is to build a simple circuit to replace the PK232 for
transmit on the COM port.  Unplug the PK232 from the COM port and put
in a simple circuit as shown at http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html.  This
type of circuit give out clean CW with ease.

This circuit is good for FSK, PTT and CW with WriteLog.

73 & Good luck,
Don AA5AU