[WriteLog] Kenwood TS-950SDX Radio Interface Trouble

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Kenwood TS-950SDX Radio Interface Trouble
From: nr1dx@arrl.net (Dave)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 15:16:08 +0000
See comments below

At 07:45 AM 6/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Dave;
>
>Thanks for all the troubleshooting thoughts that I
>should have thought about but didn't.
>
>I'm using a boatanchor pentium 75 mhz with Windows 98
>-and the serial port on the motherboard.  The "CT" in
>question is under DOS (not windows) and yes, there is
>no comparison...except that I wanted people to
>understand that this problem was limited to writelog
>only...i.e. not RF, not something unrelated to
>writelog.

The problem may be more related what Windows is doing in the background
than it is to Writelog. What I'm guessing is that Windows is multitasking
in the background, Windows goes off to do something and drops the PTT line
while it is out executing something in the background.

Try the following,
1) Reboot the system...next
2) <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> a little Window pops up
3) Systematically highlight and <END TASK> every program in the list EXCEPT
Windows Explorer and Systray (You will have to do this repeatedly till only
the two programs are left.
4) Now start Writelog and see if the problem exists......
5) If this fixes the problem then the real trick is to figure out which
program is running in the background that is grabbing CPU time.

Herb Rosenburg, I should have had you try this as well........all though
your problem is slightly different ..this is worth a shot.

>I have 5 PCs in my basement that have different
>version of Windows, different clock speeds, etc.  I
>will experiement with different PCs to determine if it
>is PC dependent - this shouldn't take long.

It is possible that it is mother board / bios related, this isn my
experince is almost impossble to trouble shoot except for the truly gifted,
and even if you found the old  MB to be the problem there may be no way to
fix the problem....