[WriteLog] Now how do I do this?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Now how do I do this?
From: wa9als@starband.net (wa9als)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:10:27 -0500
> I can move some things, particularly the Palm and Modem to higher COM port
> numbers if needed. I also have another Palm USB --> Serial adapter that I
> suppose would work.  BUT how do I get writelog to recognize a 5th com port
> on top of all this?  Suggestions appreciated.

This is a common question, and the answer is easy - and WriteLog does
support higher com ports.  It does only support 4 ports AT ONE TIME, but
they can be higher numbers than 1-4.

In the ini file, you can enter lines such as:
CommSlot1=1
CommSlot2=2
CommSlot3=9
CommSlot4=10

Then in the Setup|Ports window, you will find ports 1,2,9,10 displayed and
you can do what you want with them.  My ini file looks like this:

[Ports]
COM1:=9600,n,8,1
COM2:=9600,n,8,1
COM3:=9600,n,8,1
COM4:=9600,n,8,1
CommSlot1=1
CommSlot2=4
CommSlot3=5
CommSlot4=6

I use Com 1 and Com 2 (motherboard) for FSK/PTT keying to 2 radios.  The
other 2 are used for rig control using a USB serial adapter.

If I enter a CW contest (rare!), I have a cable I plug into one of the
motherboard com ports and do CW/PTT on that port for that contest.

One caveat is that v10.32E has the com port numbering OFF by 1, e.g. Com 0
in the Setup|Ports window is really com 1 etc.  Sorry I don't know which
version has this little bug.

Have fun!  73
Check out my High Sierra HS-1500 Ebay auction at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1361738912