[WriteLog] Rig Driver for K2?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Rig Driver for K2?
From: sholton@optonline.net (Steve Holton)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:22:54 -0400

> >I will watch this very closely.  The K2 is a fantistic radio.  At least mine
> >is.  One of the very best receivers I have ever used.

>For us semi-tech types, what about it makes the RX so good?
>
>73, Bill W7TI

I'm building one right now. In part because of it reputation as a receiver.
Below find a couple of snippets from the QST review. If you go to their
website www.elecraft.com you'll find the complete review and some other
quite impressive comparison data. I'm really impressed with all aspect of
the kit/radio. There is also an impressive community of users and lots of
mods, help etc on their mailing list.

73
Steve N1NB

BOTTOM LINE
The Elecraft K2 represents a remarkable
advance in the level of sophistication and
performance available in a build-it-yourself
format. While assembly will require some
proficiency with basic electronics assembly
techniques, with Internet access, valuable
assistance can be as close as your keyboard.

The receiver is a single-conversion
superheterodyne that employs double-tuned
band-pass filters for each band. It uses a
down-conversion scheme with an IF of
4.915 MHz. The individual band-pass
filters provide superior IMD performance
when compared to up-converting designs
that often use a single low-pass filter to
remove image products. Because the BFO
is microprocessor controlled, its frequency
is reset for USB and LSB reception as well
as CW on either side of the carrier.

The filter scheme is especially interesting.
Most commercial transceivers come
with a ?stock? filter for sideband and a
narrower filter for CW operation. In
addition to these there is usually room to
add one or two additional optional filters.
The K2 uses a scheme of diode switching
and software control to provide four crystal
filter settings for each mode. These are adjustable,
so you can tailor the bandwidths
to suit your operating style. The factory
default settings for CW are 1.5 kHz and
700, 400 and 100 Hz.
You also set up four filter bandwidths
for SSB reception. The defaults are 2.2, 2.0,
1.8 and 1.6 kHz. (You can still receive SSB,
RTTY and the data modes even with a basic
?CW Only? K2).
If you should decide to add the SSB
adapter, there is yet another filter?
optimized for SSB operation at about
2.3 kHz. In that case, filter 1 is optimized
for SSB transmit and filter 2 is optimized
for SSB receive. Filter 3 can be set as a
narrow bandwidth SSB filter. The default
is 1.6 kHz. Filter 4 can even be set at a
narrower bandwidth?useful for the data
modes.