[WriteLog] More on XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More on XP
From: N8KU@longwire.com (Larry D)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 10:00:13 +0000
On Thursday 04 July 2002 10:00 pm, you wrote:

> The next step for LINUX is for someone to build a cover around it so its
> easy to use.

How easy do you want it? (I believe the "cover" you are speaking of already
exists and is called "KDE")

I downloaded the latest RedHat Linux and a copy of OpenOffice yesterday. Late
this morning, I put a blank  hard disk (removable) into one of my computers,
and installed Linux. It took about 10 minutes.

I then spent the afternoon doing the following:
- downloaded and installed the latest Java from Sun
- installed Open Office, and configured Mozilla (Netscape) to use the new Java
- configured the network, and my network printer
- automated the attachment of my main file server (Windows 2000) as folders on
the new installation
- configured email (all 7 addresses) and imported my address books and old
mail from the server

And I still had time to catch up on reading my mail, including 21 new messages
from the Writelog reflector!

Sadly, all is not well with the OpenOffice program, when I open up Word
documents it reads them in just fine, but there are some problems with fonts
and formatting, such that I need to re-do them if I want to make changes and
actually save them again. (Of course, that would go away eventually after I
stop creating them in Office XP.)

Of course, I have had a little practice at this, but guess what? It's fun!

 l o n g w i r e . c o m
90%CW  +  10% PSK  =  100% HF