[WriteLog] serial interface PCI expansion boards

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] serial interface PCI expansion boards
From: sdyer@interlogue.com (Steve Dyer)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:06:54 -0700
The 5 bit baudot code data is NOT on the TXD line. The TXD line only carries
mark/space signaling which represents baudot characters.

A fine point I realize. Look at the FSK interfaces in the WL or MMTTY help
files. They do not do any baudot translations, just isolation/level
conversion. I don't know of any rig that understands baudot input. All FSK
inputs are for mark/space.

Both RttyWrite and MMTTY are bit banging. When transmitting, letters and
numbers are translated to baudot representation, then translated to on/off
signals on the TXD line.

If there are any timing problems with PC generated CW or RTTY, look for
processes hogging the machine or upgrade to a faster CPU. Most all the
multi-tasking issues have been ironed out by a combination of much faster
hardware and Microsoft improving the process scheduler.

Best 73,

Steve, W1SRD