[WriteLog] USB support yes LPT and Com support no

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB support yes LPT and Com support no
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:54:48 -0500
The biggest problems today with USB-to-Serial adapters is for
generating FSK and CW (some having problems generating CW).
But I have heard some say they have great success running CW using them.

For RTTY, the problem is support of 5 bit code.  Most USB-to-Serial
converters today use a chip by Cypress called EZ-USB as the UART.
Although the EZ-USB can support 5-bit code, it is not programmed to
do so by most (maybe all) makers of USB-to-Serial adapters.  Not one
single USB-to-Serial adapter using the EZ-USB chipset has been tested
to work for FSK (5-bit generation) code.

Some USB adapters do use the 16550 UART for serial conversion.
The 16550 does fully support 5-bit code.  However, again, the chipset
must be programmed to accept 5-bit code for FSK transmission via
these devices.

There is one converter that has been proven (not by me yet) to successfully
run 5-bit FSK transmission and that is the Belkin F5U103 model adapter.
I know it works because I worked Dick, KD6AZN, while he was operating
in Japan and he was using the F5U103 to generate FSK.  Despite his success,
others have had trouble using this adapter for FSK.  I guess I need to break
down and buy one and test it with WriteLog.

But as the thread suggests, we are going to have to rely on these devices
in the future.  No one is going to support 5-bit code because no one uses it
except us hams.  I think it was Chen, W7AY, that might have suggested that
we change FSK to 8-bit code.  Not a bad idea for the future if we want these
devices to work for us.

I've accumulated some data about USB-to-Serial adapters on my personal
website and this information can be accessed from my RTTY page at
www.aa5au.com/rtty.

I plan on purchasing a Belkin F5U103 one of these days and testing it.  I will
share the results when it happens.

73, Don AA5AU