[WriteLog] USB, COM, LPT another solution

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB, COM, LPT another solution
From: ab2e@hotmail.com (Darrell Neron)
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 19:24:06 -0400
Hello everyone,
     I have 2 issues I would like to comment on. First, I recently bought a
Belkin F5U116 USB hub (this is the deluxe one, which has 4 extra USB, 2
serial, and 1 parallel port). I was anticipating the newer round of laptops,
which mostly seem to be eliminating everything on the back panel except the
USB port. My main concern is DxPedition contesting.
     I installed everything correctly, everything is recognized in "device
manager" on WIN98SE. I even activated a "UART 16550 DOS emulator" box for
the 2 new COM ports. Although USB, these appear in the normal place under
COM and LPT ports in device manager,but there is a corresponding USB Serial
Adapter farther down the list. However, the USB LPT is below in its own
category. I could not get Writelog to work for CW Keying on COM4, although
it recognizes COM4 as an option. Writelog does not see the new LPT port,
still just giving me the original LPT port on the back of the Dell CPi
laptop.  OK, it appears doubtful any of these USB additional serial/parallel
cards will work as previously mentioned here.

     However, I had previously made what turned out to be a very lucky and
wise purchase. It is a Socketcomm dual I/O PCMCIA card for laptops. It adds
2 additional serial ports to the laptop. Writlelog likes this card, and I
have used it several times with great success. It uses IRQ sharing, so
assigns a single IRQ when WIN98SE sees the card. A caveat for any of you who
may occasionally use CT. Because CT cannot handle IRQ sharing, you can get
the card to work, but only with the supplied DOS drivers, which will let you
use a single serial port, instead of both.
Socketcomm's site is www.socketcom.com if anyone wants to check them out.

This would add 2 serial ports even to the newer notebooks, and you could use
it for CW and RigControl.

Has anyone tried to see if the USB to Ethernet adapters will work with
Writelog(such as the Farallon)? If it does, you could use one of those on a
new laptop with the Socketcomm, and add a total of 3 useful ports.

73 Darrell AB2E