[WriteLog] New User

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] New User
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:02:54 -0500
> John you are correct, however there are a few of us out here that have
> difficult even assembling such a simple circuit.  I for one had a stoke
> 5+ years ago which left me with limited fine motor skills in my left
> hand.  And, my over all coordination is "shaky" due to a numerological
> problem as a child 50+ years ago.  Bottom line for me is no problem
> soldering a PL-59, but the DB-9s are danged near impossible for me.  It
> is the reason I still use a DSP 599ZX as a dumb terminal with a cable
> built by Timewave for the TNC/Radio instead of making up an FSK cable and
> using the computer.
>
> This isn't meant to flame you.  Just a reason why some people might be
> buying the RigBlaster or whatever instead of building their own.

No flame taken, and by no means did I mean to overlook those with
disabilities.  I just figured I'm such an appliance operator that if I could
do it, anyone could.  Thanks for reminding me that's not completely true!

I do think there are many that could, but just don't THINK they could.  I
had my share of difficulty soldering the DB-9 connectors....UNTIL I found
the Radio Shack ones with the pins supplied separately!  With those, you
solder the pin on the wire, and THEN stick the pin into the connector base.
That idea helps a few of us.  ;-)  73 Larry - John (WA9ALS)