[WriteLog] Re: Writelog Crash on startup

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: Writelog Crash on startup
From: n8bjq@erinet.com (Steve Bolia)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:22:34 -0400
Wayne, Geoff, Jerry and others.

The problem appears to be one related to the installation of EarthWatch.  It
installs a later or modified version of the files oleaut32.dll and
olepro32.dll.  When the program is uninstalled, these files are not deleted.
After two weeks of reading lots about rpcrt4.dll on the web I looked at what
EW installs.  These two files are dated after the Microsoft installation
files (at least for Win ME and 98) and may be custom compiles by the author.

To fix - at least on my win Me machine I used MSCONFIG to extract the
correct files from the ME disk.
Extract these to another directory - not windows system
Boot to a dos disk
go to windows\system and delete both oleaut32.dll and olepro32.dll
copy the files that you extracted to the windows\system directory
restart windows

WL should now start

Delete the EarthWatch install program - neat program but deadly on Writelog
(and also Internet Explorer)

Steve, N8BJQ