[WriteLog] Re: [YCCC] help with write Log

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: [YCCC] help with write Log
From: Bruce A. King" <baking@gis.net (Bruce A. King)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:38:23 -0400
Hi Joey,

I have a couple of suggestions for you to try.

Regarding feedback on dupes:
The default value in the F4 function key macro is %B%B (yourcall). If the
station in the CALL field is not a dupe, then (yourcall) gets sent. If the
station in the CALL field is a dupe, then nothing gets sent. You can use
this either of two ways. First, if you put an "<<<e>>>" in between the %B%B
(as in %B<<<e>>>%B), then if you try to call a dupe via the F4 key, you will
only hear a single high speed dit. Yes, it will get key the rig, but there
are two additional things to do depending on your particular rig and
operating habits. One is let it transmit, at worst you will get a ? back
from the dupe. The other is to turn your keying off on your rig if you can
while searching for new stations to work. In my case, I can set my 756 to
"Break-in off". I hear the dit in my monitor only. For SSB, you could record
an "Oops" wave file which should have the same feedback value for you. The
third option is somewhat tied to the next topic, but if you know that your
cursor is in the CALL field, and you hit the F4 key with the default setting
and the rig doesn't key up... you will know you tried to call a dupe. It's
kind of a passive feedback but it works too.

Regarding knowing what field you are working with is a bit trickier. I'm not
aware of any way to provide audible field location info. But, you can use
the customizable setup features in Writelog to help you. You will find the
Exchange Format Setup option under the Contest dropdown menu. Using the
CQWWCW contest as an example, you can opt to show only the CALL, Received
RST, Zone and "C" datafields. Make sure that the "C" field is checked off to
display in the Entry window. The "C" field has the useful characteristic
that once you get into it via the spacebar, it won't leave the field on
further spacebar actions, you have to use the TAB (or enter) key. You can
use this knowledge to your advantage in the following way. You know that
(again using CQWWCW) the number of fields is fixed and in the same order,
they are CALL, RST, Zone, and C. You know that the spacebar will take you to
the next field requiring and entry (remember the spacebar will skip over the
RST field since it almost always has the right info prefilled e.g. 599, if
you need to change the received RST, either TAB into it from the CALL field,
or use Alt/N to write yourself a note that this station, include the call,
gave you a 579 or whatever). You know that repeated operation of the
spacebar will take you to the C field and leave you there. You know that the
ALT/W key will wipe out anything in the Entry window and leave you in the
CALL field (sometimes it's easier to just start over). So, operation would
normally proceed with "enter the call", space to zone field, "enter the
zone". If you think you have it all, hit enter. If you lose track of where
you are, hit the spacebar 4 or 5 times to make sure you are "stuck" in the C
field, then you can TAB once to get to the CALL field and you're back in
business.

I've given you a couple of things to try. I don't know how familiar you are
with Writelog, so this may be confusing if you are not used to the program.
I'm taking the liberty of posting this to the Writelog reflector along with
your original posting to the YCCC reflector. Hopefully, you will receive
some additional ideas.

73 Bruce W1CSM