[WriteLog] Re: [FRC] Windows XP Home Questions

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: [FRC] Windows XP Home Questions
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 20:52:35 -0000
On 1 Nov 2002 Irwin C Darack wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) Byte Runner Serial Card - I purchased a new PC running Windows XP
> Home and moved my byterunner PCI-200L com card to the new PC. Using
> the drivers I found on the Byterunner web site, the card was installed
> as Com's 4 and 5. Since writelog does not recognize anything beyond
> Com 4, I need to rename the port 5 to port 3. I could not find any
> instruction on Byterunners web site.

Who told you that? From K9JY's site:
We can't have enough serial ports, right? Well, WriteLog has
some limitations and some workarounds related specifically to
Comm Ports and rig control which will be noted here related to
how your WriteLog.ini file is set up. If you want to use a Comm
port above Comm 4, you will want to modify your WriteLog.ini
file to match up with what is in the Help file. The Help file notes
the following:
"There are 4 'slots' available for WriteLog rig interfacing. By
default, CommSlot1 is Com1, but you can change that by
changing the number on the right of the equal sign." So in the
[Ports] section of the WriteLog.ini file, you will see the following
as the default Com 1:
CommSlot1=1
Let's say that you want to use Com 7 for rig control. WriteLog
does not support Com 7, only Com ports one through four. To get
around this limitation, you can switch your com ports around, or
you can designate one of the 1-4 Com Slots in the WriteLog.ini
file as equaling Com 7. You would modify the WriteLog.ini file to
say the following:
CommSlot1=7
Note that the 'CommSlot' settings are not used for RTTY or
Packet, just rig control.

Can't help you with #2. I sweitched to all serial ports a long time ago...
Barry W2UP