[WriteLog] Audio compression (again)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Audio compression (again)
From: kc0czi@midmoskywarn.net (Kevin Brown - KC0CZI)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 12:58:00 -0600
I would ask only what your intent for the recording is?  If it's simply
so you have review material - 8k, 8bit, mono would suffice (that's what
I use).  In fact, if I then wanted to burn that audio to CD, I could
convert it to 14k, 16bit, stereo and do it - but without the full
fidelity.

If you have hard drive to burn, and want a quasi hi-fi recording -
something more might be reasonable.  The encoding of 11025, 16bit, mono
is well-received by the receiver - one could say it would be acceptable
for recording your end too.

I could not come up with a reason to use a full-fidelity codec (14k,
16b, stereo) to actually record (hard drive eater at 10MB per minute),
yet knowing I could covert the audio for a short time in order to burn a
CD if I wanted to.