[WriteLog] Recording .wav file problem

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Recording .wav file problem
From: jackcolson@netsignia.net (Jack Colson)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 07:46:46 -0500
I have been unable to successfully record a .wav file to be used by
Writelog.

I can record a file but the audio level is quite low and when played back
the digitization noise level is high and the speech level is just a bit
louder.

I have set the mixer levels for microphone to max as well as the output
volume control.

I have tried this on three different computers with about the same results.
One is a brand new Dell which I would presume that the soundcard to be
working correctly.

I would not think to record a file that the audio level into the soundcard
had to be greater than what a microphone would normally output.

I have tried three different microphone with about the same results.

When viewing the .wav file recording window, I see no or very little
amplitude response on the display when attempting to record.  I have tried
increasing the amplitude by increments of 25% as available in the file
record software.

The main "radio computer" soundcard passes the soundcard test program with a
"7f" (think that is correct).

Any suggestions?

73,
Jack, W3TMZ