[WriteLog] SIMPLE CW KEYING FOR OMNI V

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SIMPLE CW KEYING FOR OMNI V
From: jbrannig@optonline.net (Jim Brannigan)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:15:31 -0500
Ed,
There are several simple one transistor keying circuits on the WEB.  I added
a RS reed relay for additional isolation and for use with a tube radio.  The
circuit is in regular use in BK-IN mode with my OMNI-VI+.  An electronic
keyer is connected in parallel.
Rigblaster and MFJ make "plug and play" interface boxes.
CW contest operation from the keyboard is certainly the way to go.
Directions for setting W/L are on the main and associated WEB sites.
Jim

> I am relatively new in using the Writelog program.  In reading some of the
reflector archives, it appears that there is no direct simple interface
between my Writelog and Ten-Tec Omni V transceiver.  What I would like to
get from some of the experts out there is a simple solution on how to key
(CW) my Omni V with the Writelog program.  Nothing fancy...all I would like
is to be able to send a few "canned" messages with the Writelog keyboard,
which would in turn key on/off my Omni.  A parallel connection across my
Vibroplex key would work fine (Yes..there are still some manual keys in
use!).

> I currently use a home-built manual memory box shunted across the CW
input/key to my Omni V (and Vibroplex), but now that I am busy with the
WriteLog program, I am running out of hands!  If I were able to also use my
computer keyboard to send callsigns, that would be great too!

> If you have a simple solution please describe the computer-to-Omni V
interface, and what menus I would have to go into in WriteLog to set the
serial/parallel ports outputs on my computer.  Would I have to put together
an outboard switching circuit?

> Perhaps I will be lucky and get everything in place for this weekend's
CQWW DX CW Contest!