[WriteLog] Comports and XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Comports and XP
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Mike McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:23:22 -0500
Check your BIOS settings.  Many new motherboards have a hoard of devices
on them that aren't attached to anything.  I would suspect that, at
least, there is an IR port configured for COM2 or 3.  There may also be
a COM2 port connection on the motherboard that has no cable attached.
Shut off EVERYTHING that you don't use, like IR, unused COM ports,
unused IDE controllers, unused on board software modems, etc.  Does this
thing have a built in modem or one plugged into the PCI bus?

73 de Mike, W1NR