[WriteLog] Comports and XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Comports and XP
From: hamcat@directvinternet.com (K4SB)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:43:58 +0000
Dave Earnest wrote:
There is only one serial port on the new machine. When I installed the
PCI-200 in the new computer Device Manager shows them as Com 4 and Com
5. Thought I was home free. However, the devices I have hooked up to
the ports: TS-850 and the serial CW keying line don't work.

----------------
OK, don't know if this will work on XP, but 98SE sometimes does the
same thing. The trick I've  use is to tell 98 it has comm ports 3 and
4....under the add new hardware
feature. Of course, if you try to check them, under Device Manager,
you'll get an error.

However, what I have then done is install the other card, like Dave's
PCI-200, and see if it works then. If it does, I then remove the fake
comm 3 and 4. I have also been successful in setting it up like that,
and then removing the fakes, and changing ports 4 and 5 to the
addresses of 3 and 4.

Hope this helps.

73
Ed