[WriteLog] Re: RTTY Round-UP Multipliers / Scoring

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: RTTY Round-UP Multipliers / Scoring
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 15:33:22 -0600
What did you screw up Bill?  What you said looks good.

I don't recall DC being a multiplier in this contest, but it is clearly stated
in the
rules http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2003/rtty.html.

Dan's statement "The RTTY Roundup does not use ARRL sections for multipliers,
it uses states, Canadian provinces and territories, and DC as domestic
multipliers"
is not 100% accurate but it doesn't matter.  The rules clearly state each VE
multiplier.
There are 14 Canadian mults - 10 Provinces, 3 Territories plus Labrador.

Technically, Labrador is neither a province or territory.  Don, VE1AOE, provided
some excellent information on this subject to me back in September when we were
discussing Canadian multipliers for the CQ/RJ contest.  According to the
Canadian
Postal Code Directory 2002, there are 10 Provinces and 3 Territories.  Labrador
is
listed in the rules as a multiplier, so there are 14 total Canadian multipliers
for the Roundup.

WriteLog users need to make additions to their namedmul.ini file.  The
additions that
Bill mentioned in a previous post are correct.

In the [RTYRNDUP-STATES] section, add:

DC=3

In the [RTYRNDUP-STATES-ALIAS] section, add:

MDC=DC

This takes care of the DC multiplier.  And don't be surprised if you see 4U1WB
from
DC.  He called me in the 10M contest at 2315Z for my last multiplier.

Lots of changes could be made to the [RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES] and
[RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES-ALIAS] sections, but to keep it simple you could add
just 4 entries, delete one modify another.

Under [RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES] add two lines:

LB=2
NU=0

Under [RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES-ALIAS] add two lines:

LAB=LB
VY0=NU

Under [RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES-ALIAS] delete the line:

LB=NFLD

Under [RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES-ALIAS] modify:

VO2=NFLD to show VO2=LB

This should score the contest correctly.  I tested it and it does work.  I took
screen shots of my named.ini file and placed them on my WriteLog website at:
http://www.geocities.com/writelog/namedmul_ru.html

Here is a list of Canadian prefixes for Provinces & Territories plus Labrador:

VE1 = NS (It's possible a VE1 could be NB or PE, but rare)
VE2 = QC
VE3 = ON
VE4 = MB
VE5 = SK
VE6 = AB
VE7 = BC
VE8 = NT
VE9 = NB
VO1 = NF
VO2 = LB
VY1 = YT
VY2 = PE
VY0 = NU

To make things more confusing, there is no longer a Province of Newfoundland.
The name was changed to the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador on December
6, 2001.
And the official postal code for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador was
changed
from NF to NL on October 21, 2002.  Source http://www.gov.nf.ca/.

Both the ARRL and CQ/RJ continue to allow Labrador to be a separate multiplier,
which
is fine with me.  The more multipliers, the better!

3 days to go to the Roundup!

73, Don AA5AU